Knee Pain in Amarillo, Tx
There are many causes for knee pain and it’s a very common complaint. Just like any other condition, there is a paramount importance when it comes to establishing a formal diagnosis so
that the treatment will appropriately address the issue. Common causes of knee pain include:
- Arthritis – Arthritis is a very common cause of knee pain.
- Ligament Injuries – Ligament injuries often occur during athletic activities and cause instability.
o Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Injury
o Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Injury
o Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Injury
- Cartilage Injuries | Meniscal Tear – Cartilage tears are very common and affect all ages.
- Patellar Tendonitis – Tendonitis around the joint is usually the patellar tendon; the largest tendon over the front of the knee.
- Chondromalacia Patella – Chondromalacia causes pain under the kneecap and is generally due to the softening of cartilage in patients from 15 – 35 years old.
- Dislocating Kneecap – A dislocation of the kneecap causes acute symptoms that often become chronic.
- Baker’s Cyst – Baker’s Cysts cause swelling at the back of the knee and often are associated with meniscus tears.
- Bursitis – Just above the kneecap, the bursa can become agitated; commonly in people who kneel for work like carpet layers and gardeners.
- Plica Syndrome – Plica Syndrome is fairly rare and typically it takes arthroscopy to diagnose.
- Osgood-Schlatter Disease – Osgood Schlatter Disease is the irritation of the growth plate just at the front of the joint and usually shows in adolescents.
- Osteochondritis Dissecans – Osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) is also seen in adolescents due to growth of the bone around the joint.
- Gout – Gout is an uncommon cause for knee pain, but must be considered if a patient has previously been diagnosed.
Solutions to Knee Pain
If you suffer from knee pain, contact the Chiropractic + Recovery office today and schedule an appointment with Dr. Kaci Roach. She can offer some of the latest treatments available to help you overcome this debilitating problem.